• Zamknięty Temat jest zamknięty
89 odpowiedzi w tym temacie

#1 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 03 maja 2012 - 06:26

This way we have a name for our thread that is unique and matching specific climate of this forum. After all, most active users here are all ex-IDG users.
But, enough of my rambling...

Thread rules:
1. This thread is English and English only, Polish or any other language are not permitted within its boundaries.
2. Look up.
3. You're allowed to ask questions as long as you express yourself in Shakespeare's language.
4. Users proficient in English should help users willing to improve by nicely pointing out mistakes and helping to correct them.
5. English only.
6. If in doubt look up rules 1, 2 and 5.

>>ASUS PRIME X570-P>Ryzen 3600X>Corsair H100i v2>GIGABYTE RTX2060 Super OC 3X>4x4GB Corsair Vengeance>XPG SX8200Pro 1TB>Obsidian 750D>Seasonic Platinum 760>2x DELL UltraSharp 24">G305>BlackWidow 2013>>

#2 Czarny_II

Czarny_II

Moderator honoris causa

• Użytkownik
  • 2 128 postów

Napisano 04 maja 2012 - 03:38

chartkor, you know that you aren't really using the language that Shakespeare used? :PI wonder if people from XVIII century England would even understand us :)

Spoiler

ns40yz-2.png

#3 stylance

stylance

Community Manager

• Użytkownik
  • 431 postów

Napisano 04 maja 2012 - 07:20

Thanks for that topic, so let's the show begin :)

I'm working with my colleague over some project. It will be a blog about two very popular nowadays trends such as community management and social media. And this blog will be written in polish, directed to polish professionals and people wanting to know how that things work, learn about case studies or ways and tools of measuring return of activities in social media or community management. But it's not the clue. The clue for me and the future of this blog is english written section. I really would like to spread our skills and experience abroad the country. I really believe that Poland has a potential. And I'm wondering if it is not a mistake? I mean whether one blog should be monolingual or can be bilingual?

Top Secret :)

#4 marcin5747

marcin5747

Forumowicz

• Użytkownik
  • 283 postów

Napisano 04 maja 2012 - 08:23

Uuu. Stylance, your english language is awesome :D. I don't speak english ;(. (No może trochę) :D
:opera:

#5 Czerwony

Czerwony

https://ls-rp.net/profile/143618-expandera/

• 263 postów

Napisano 04 maja 2012 - 11:52

Shakspeare's english is really hard to understand. I remeber analyzing Romeo and juliet few years back. It had quite a lot to do with german. Some words were easier to understand if you know at least basics in german.

#6 stylance

stylance

Community Manager

• Użytkownik
  • 431 postów

Napisano 04 maja 2012 - 12:25

I think that even I would barely understand my grand-grand-grand-grand :D mother or father who had lived in times of Shakespeare just because each language had have change since then. Few years ago no one in Poland used words such as startup or anioły biznesu while now these are commonly used terms in my profession. So times are changing and our language either.

#7 cplerek

cplerek

Forumowicz

• Użytkownik
  • 152 postów

Napisano 04 maja 2012 - 07:50

Guys yours English is really good. I even don't understand some words from yours sentences and I need a little help from google translator, ya I know it is bad but I only need it to translate some words .. I bet that , you are talking in this language for very long time. I hope, that you understood me :D

When and why you decided to learn English? I am really interested.

#8 Czarny_II

Czarny_II

Moderator honoris causa

• Użytkownik
  • 2 128 postów

Napisano 04 maja 2012 - 10:21

I had additional english in preschool, so it wasn't my decision, but my parents.

Spoiler

ns40yz-2.png

#9 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 04 maja 2012 - 11:18

Czarny@ Thanks smartass, I would not know if you'd not point out that English in Xvii century was different from modern English. :P

BTW I think Shakespeare is awesome, Hamlet is the best play I ever read beside Death of the Salesman.

Cplerek@ I had extended English in gimnazjum, however it did not help much since my grades were ranging from 1-3 because I did not give 2 shits about it. Now I live in the best country in the world (Canada; if someone isn't familiar with the synonym:E) for about 3.5 years now so speaking English fluently came naturally after about 2 years.

>>ASUS PRIME X570-P>Ryzen 3600X>Corsair H100i v2>GIGABYTE RTX2060 Super OC 3X>4x4GB Corsair Vengeance>XPG SX8200Pro 1TB>Obsidian 750D>Seasonic Platinum 760>2x DELL UltraSharp 24">G305>BlackWidow 2013>>

#10 Czarny_II

Czarny_II

Moderator honoris causa

• Użytkownik
  • 2 128 postów

Napisano 05 maja 2012 - 08:21

XVIII century :P and I'm not really a fan of his work. Probably because most stagings I saw were weak.

Spoiler

ns40yz-2.png

#11 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 05 maja 2012 - 08:30

I think XVII after all...
http://en.wikipedia....iam_Shakespeare

#12 Yossarian

Yossarian

Dużo pisze

• Użytkownik
  • 374 postów

Napisano 05 maja 2012 - 01:02

Great idea. My English isn't as perfect as yours but it's good opportunity to improve.

#13 Czarny_II

Czarny_II

Moderator honoris causa

• Użytkownik
  • 2 128 postów

Napisano 05 maja 2012 - 03:33

My bad :)

Spoiler

ns40yz-2.png

#14 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 06 maja 2012 - 02:22

Great idea. My English isn't as perfect as yours but it's good opportunity to improve.

My English is far from being perfect, son.

#15 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 07 maja 2012 - 04:01

Bullshit, it's not that cold in Canada unless it's far north. Edmonton summers are usually quite hot with temperatures reaching 30 degree celcius, doesn't surprise anyone.
Stylance@ I did not decide, I was 16 and the decision was made by my parents. Yes it was purely about money. My dad is a welder with over 20 years of experience, and as Alberta has the second biggest resources of oil in the world, heavy industry sector is doing well here and made Alberta the richest province. Welders are in big demand here. In the city a journeyman welder makes $30-40/h while up north in the work camps they can make $100/h and much more.

#16 stylance

stylance

Community Manager

• Użytkownik
  • 431 postów

Napisano 07 maja 2012 - 06:37

Chartkor, why did you decide to move to Canada?

#17 Czerwony

Czerwony

• 263 postów

Napisano 07 maja 2012 - 10:17

I can even answer this question for him cuz I moved already twice.

There is a sayin that if you dont know the reason its probably money. And thats the reason for emigrating from Poland. Canada has high standards of health care and other social supports etc. + if his parents got a decent job on contract he's already set. And obviously schools are far superior - universities are nearly as good as US ones just cheaper. The only thing on "minus" is that its cold. Cold weather = no bikinis hahha

I moved to germany for the same reasons. Then India was purely about money and especially my high-school.

#18 stylance

stylance

Community Manager

• Użytkownik
  • 431 postów

Napisano 07 maja 2012 - 12:47

For few years now I've been thinking about moving into England. And the reason is not only money - I admire it's Monarchy, I like architecture and now I strongly believe that there are more career opportunities for me than in Poland though the problem is not in polish market but still in polish enterpreneur's minds. They act really short-sightedly. On the other hand the thing I strugle almost every day is their strange attitude - if something haven't happen abroad yet, so it's bad idea not worth discussion.

#19 stylance

stylance

Community Manager

• Użytkownik
  • 431 postów

Napisano 08 maja 2012 - 07:15

There are two places I would like to visit in my life -> The Prince Edward's Island and Main in United States. The rest holidays I could spend in Mazury :) I know that in Canada the population of Polans is quite big, do you stay in touch with other Polans living in Canada?

#20 Czerwony

Czerwony

• 263 postów

Napisano 08 maja 2012 - 01:47

just sayin that there is no such a thing as Polans -

i'd say that correct is either:

Poles (which is quite often treated as quite rude to call sb a Pole. i think thats bullshit and use it quite often)
or you can say polish people which is just correct yet kinda long.

Either way is fine ;-) just Polans would referto old polish tribes looong time ago. Im not good in polish history but something before Mieszko I.

Oh and since we started new topic:

Where id like to live:

Moscow
Californica (LA/San Francisco just on west coast)
Mumbai (cuz i enjoy it so much that id like to return one day)
Sopot (same as above - such a cool place)
If im multi-millionaire - New York (damn expensive to have a nice house)
Tokio
if im multi-millionaire - Singapore (also damn cool place if u have $$ to live fully :P)
As an old prick - somewhere in south France - I quite liked Nice - Marsiella is to overcrowded and too loud for retirement.

#21 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 08 maja 2012 - 03:30

Hard to say, because I know both Poles and Canadians alike.
Czerwony@ Wrong, Pole is the proper English term. Polack is the offensive one.
And when it comes to me I want to live in Canada, or in Canada. Most likely best country on the friggin planet. We have maple syrup, ice hockey, Tim Hortons, Wayne Gretzky and so much open space it's insane, and many other little things that create the awesome climate of this country. I think there is such thing as Canadian dream. It's nice to be able to live it up.

#22 Czerwony

Czerwony

• 263 postów

Napisano 08 maja 2012 - 04:14

Yeah thats true - Polack is the offensive one. Yet i've heard many times that poles dont't like to be called poles and its not offensive - but kinda informal and bit rude for some. In my opinion its totally fine.

Canada? Nah not really. Maybe in a while i'll re-considerate it. Might be too boring for me, but certainly pretty as f*@#. I like places where there is hella lot of things to do - nightclubs going crazy and shit. I might change my taste in a while. Thats why i didnt really enjoy germany that much - and its certainly pretty clean country with a lot of nature especially in town i stayed in.

#23 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 08 maja 2012 - 08:01

You don't know what you're talking about for the 3rd time. :P
Canada is certainly not boring, moreover it's one of the least boring Countries. You have wild parties and nightlife in the city, drive 15 minutes out of the city and you have wild open spaces, prairies, forests, lakes, mountains. You party one night and next day you are skiing in jasper, or motorboating, or motorbiking in the forest. This country truly embodies the meaning of word "freedom" like no other.

#24 Bennedo

Bennedo

Advanced Member

• Użytkownik
  • 78 postów

Napisano 15 maja 2012 - 01:54

Great!
It's very interesting opportunity to improve one's English.
I suggest you to get to know with omegle.com which can be also very useful chance to make our English better.
Moreover, thanks this site, we can meet quite interesting people.

R3d and chartkor -
Could you tell me something about improving your English during being abroad?
How long did it last to get used to using this language at the beggining of your coming?
When did you achieve noticeable progress?
Ciumars

#25 Czerwony

Czerwony

• 263 postów

Napisano 15 maja 2012 - 05:42

Omegle? Nah i aint gonna be jerking off or looking at people jerking off :P

It comes quite fast. You talk to your buddies all the time so you start learning from 'em. Unfortunately I cant speak proper english which it taught at school, not saying my essay writing skills are poor. Just orally I cant force myself to speak it the right way ;P

And this threat is more for you guys rather than me or Chartkor. We already know what we gotta know. We're both down to collaborate and make some conversation going, but idk what about Chartkor but i think that except for few words or smaller phrases, we wont improve a lot.

I always wanted to speak some badass british english - with proper accent etc. :(

#26 Bennedo

Bennedo

Advanced Member

• Użytkownik
  • 78 postów

Napisano 15 maja 2012 - 06:55

Omegle? Nah i aint gonna be jerking off or looking at people jerking off :P

There is also the 'Text' option ;)
But you're right. Sometimes, it is really hard to find a decent person and such sort of behaviour as this above can really put sb off.
However, it is still possible to meet someone who is pretty cool.

Just orally I cant force myself to speak it the right way ;P

You mean, you don't want to sound like 'Oxford'? :D

You and Chartkor represent higher level of initiation what makes you necessary at this thread.
Ciumars

#27 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 15 maja 2012 - 07:48

It's hard to say about when you're achieving this as you put it "noticable progress". You just speak English everyday over and over and over and over again, to the point speaking comes naturally. Right now after not even 4 years in Canada, English is starting to become easier to speak than Polish.
Higher level of initiation? :D Sorry could not stop from laughing, the only initiation I can think of right now i a sexual one ahah You don't have to try to sound so pathetic to speak good English, it's easy to overdo "smart-talk" and sound ridicolous. It's easy to see that when your English is not too too good and your jumping from simply constructed senteces with basic vocab to smart-sounding wannabe sentences, it creates an unintentional bathos.
That was a word of advice not just to Ciumars ;) aka Bennedo but to most of people in this thread. Not trying to be mean, just being frank with you guys.

Cz3rwony@ Oh, I hope I will improve a lot, my English is fluent but it's not perfect whatsover. To be honest with you I really lack words at times. Casual conversation; it's pretty good and I prefer English over Polish, but essays, my Polish vocabulary is much broader.

#28 stylance

stylance

Community Manager

• Użytkownik
  • 431 postów

Napisano 24 maja 2012 - 02:59

Guys, I need help. I have to write a sentence in english wich should mean something like that: Na koniec dnia te zdania ułożą krótką historyjkę (kontekst: w pewnym wątku będą publikowanie zdania z ćwiczeniem co dwie godziny, łącznie 4. Te 4 ułożą się w ciąg zdań).

At the end of the day these sentences will create a short history.

#29 Czerwony

Czerwony

• 263 postów

Napisano 25 maja 2012 - 10:09

Seems fine. Just history (historia na przyklad WW2) should be replaced with story.

#30 stylance

stylance

Community Manager

• Użytkownik
  • 431 postów

Napisano 05 czerwca 2012 - 06:47

thanks, sorry for so late response.

#31 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 07 sierpnia 2012 - 05:09

It seems that this thread had died. About effin time to revive it!

Up@ stylance; Improper use of "so" You use "so" in sentences like "Sorry, I am so late" but when you want to use it like in your sentence above; "so" becomes "such". "Sorry for such late response" If you'd like to use "so" anyways sentce must look like something along these lines: "Sorry for responding so late".

#32 forum777

forum777

Świeżo zarejestrowany

• Użytkownik
  • 0 postów

Napisano 18 sierpnia 2012 - 06:38

I wouldn't say that this is the longest thread ;)
www.elk.info.pl - Ełcki Portal | www.s-ki.pl/ogloszenia - Ogłoszenia Suwałki | połączenia PKP

#33 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 18 sierpnia 2012 - 08:34

I realize that. You're new, this name makes sense to FIDG veterans.

#34 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 15 października 2012 - 12:49

My prediction was surely the true. As I predicted this thread has died.

#35 stylance

stylance

Community Manager

• Użytkownik
  • 431 postów

Napisano 15 października 2012 - 07:22

Maybe it's difficult to talk/write in a foreign language while people has other threads to discuss, for eg. hardware/software for professionals, and the longest... for all of us to talk about non-computer topics.

anyway

I've found some usefull sites to practice english, especially as a second language. At least for me it's difficult to find short stories, spoken slowly and on present topics. So, when I found them, I was really glad. You can choose the sorty you're interested in and download both transcription and mp3 file. Because it's really short, you can listen to it on the way to school/work or back home.

Voa English http://learningenglish.voanews.com
BBC Learn English http://www.bbc.co.uk...learningenglish
Quick and dirty tips: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com
The series of English Teachers: http://englishteachersseries.com

Do you know other useful sites to practice listening skills?

#36 Siwy007

Siwy007

Forumowicz

• Użytkownik
  • 252 postów

Napisano 18 października 2012 - 04:26

By the way, Stylance, do You read book's in English?

Do you know other useful sites to practice listening skills?

I never use these sites, but I thing I think that it is good for advanced learning.

Interestion Topic, Chartkor'ku :D

#37 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 03 kwietnia 2013 - 05:24

Wow, I sure did miss that one... Woah 5 months, I feel like an archaeologist :E

It's interesting not interestion :E

#38 matidop

matidop

ROG | Overclocker

• Użytkownik
  • 10 084 postów

Napisano 03 kwietnia 2013 - 04:03

You are archaelogist :P

#39 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 06 kwietnia 2013 - 10:33

You are archaelogist :P

"an" or "a" archaelogist.

#40 Czarny_II

Czarny_II

Moderator honoris causa

• Użytkownik
  • 2 128 postów

Napisano 07 kwietnia 2013 - 01:41

"An". You don't use "A" before words starting with "A" :P

Spoiler

ns40yz-2.png

#41 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 07 kwietnia 2013 - 02:49

I think you're wrong ;)

#42 Czarny_II

Czarny_II

Moderator honoris causa

• Użytkownik
  • 2 128 postów

Napisano 07 kwietnia 2013 - 09:15

I might, but using "a" feels wrong. "An" has a better ring to it.

Spoiler

ns40yz-2.png

#43 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 07 kwietnia 2013 - 09:01

So wait, now you're saying that "an" sounds better? :|
Anyhow, since last night I didn't feel like explaining (I hate grammar), here it goes:
"An" is used before words that start with a vowel (as in the case of word "archealogist"), however this is regardless whether the actuall word is spelled with vowel as a first letter. So if say we have a word that doesn't start with a vowel but it is prenounced with a vowel first we still us "an" and this is just to avoid the silly pause you'd have to make if you tried to say "a archealogist". And an example of words that spells with "h" but "h" is being dropped and instead prenaunciation starts with a vowel would be words like "honoruable" "honest". "Jim is an honurable lad"
I hope that makes it clear now. :)

#44 Czarny_II

Czarny_II

Moderator honoris causa

• Użytkownik
  • 2 128 postów

Napisano 07 kwietnia 2013 - 10:48

Yeah, but I didn't know about words starting with "h". I think I always used "a" with them.

Spoiler

ns40yz-2.png

#45 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 07 kwietnia 2013 - 10:58

You got to remember it does not only apply to words that start with "h" any word where first letter is not being prenounced in favour of vowel that follows it.
I used "h" words because I think that would be the most common example, and also the first one from the top of my head.

#46 Czarny_II

Czarny_II

Moderator honoris causa

• Użytkownik
  • 2 128 postów

Napisano 07 kwietnia 2013 - 11:26

Yeah, I know. I meant it as I don't know if I pronounce them correctly to see that I should use "an". However I think I do, because I say an hour, not a.

Spoiler

ns40yz-2.png

#47 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 17 sierpnia 2013 - 07:33

I see that my thread has died :( Not too too many people willing to practice their English here :(

#48 kiroma

kiroma

Zapomniany dzieciak

• Użytkownik
  • 2 685 postów

Napisano 01 stycznia 2014 - 10:28

Seems it will be an interesting thread over time... again :P.
I am additionally learning English since, I think it's second grade, but I am not sure.

Pieseł jest szczęśliwy z I5.

#49 chartkor

chartkor

Użyszkodnik

• Autor tematu
  • Użytkownik
  • 131 postów

Napisano 01 stycznia 2014 - 05:52

Not really, lack of any interest caused me to believe that being buried in depths of internet and ultimately forgotten is the inevitable fate of this thread.

#50 Kal-el

Kal-el

Dużo pisze

• 511 postów

Napisano 01 stycznia 2014 - 08:28

This thread wouldn't be forgotten if students were actually learning english. Most of them just tries to get positive degree in school and forgets about it. There are good ways to learn english, but kids these days don't use them. For example playing games or watching movies - they look for version in polish instead watching with subtitles. You always gonna remember some new phrases. I've been watching a lot of movies and tv shows this way when I was in junior high school and high school, and I think I've learned english pretty good. Now I can watch them without subtitles and I understand almost everything.

Użytkownicy przeglądający ten temat: 0

0 użytkowników, 0 gości, 0 anonimowych

Copyright power by: ITPC.NET.PL